Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pickled Eggs


I can't remember if I made pickled eggs since moving to Milwaukee, or just buying the spices and planning to. The last time that I remember making them was when in college. My nephew Eric has been making them recently so I figured I'd make a batch.

Boil water. Bring your eggs to room temperature by heating them in the microwave on low for 5 seconds per egg plus five seconds. Add eggs to the water being careful not to drop them. Boul for 13-14 minutes. Remove from heat, dump the water and quench the eggs in cold water.



Boil white vinegar and add pickling spices. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes then allow the solution to cool.
Put eggs into the pickling container with a selection of other vegetables: onions, garlic, peppers, beets, etc. Cover the solution with the vinegar.
Refrigerate for at least two weeks before eating. I usually wait a month.

The loaf of bread is Cook's Illustrated's "No-Knead" bread recipe.

No comments: